BioPod Plus Auto-Harvesting Grub Composter
The BioPod Plus is a convenient way to recycle your kitchen scraps and restaurant leftovers into valuable feed - an excellent choice for your fish, bullfrogs, chickens and backyard songbird feeders. Utilizing the juvenile grub of the Black Soldier Fly, these devices are the most efficient way of bio-converting your food scraps into living biomass, without the need to separate the grubs from the active pile. Mature grubs auto-separate from the active pile via crawl off ramps and collect in the handled harvest bucket. Advanced drainage system helps maintain aerobic conditions by separating liquid effluent from pod contents. Liquids are easily dispensed from external fittings.
ENHANCEMENTS: All pods now feature a top barrier lip that surrounds the entire body. Not only does it virtually eliminate grub escape and provide additional egg laying surfaces for pregnant females, it also helps direct mature grubs into the forward harvest slit, greatly improving crawl-off efficiency.
BULK ORDERS: 40 pods can fit on a single pallet. Please call for a shipping quote for pallet orders.
SHIPPING SAVINGS: We now allow free WILL CALL / PICK UP in the Triangle Region of North Carolina. We also designed a box that can fit up to 3 pods inside with a lower per unit shipping cost. Call or email for a shipping quote.
PURCHASE ORDERS: We now accept PO's from qualified companies, educational institutions or government agencies. Call or email for a quote.
- Pair of angled, 40˚ migration ramps allow for natural migration of grubs. Inner edge of 2" wide ramps possess a raised lip to guide grubs and optimize auto-crawl-off. Dual ramps lead to harvest slit at top which overhangs the entry chute of the harvest bucket.
- Covered harvest bucket auto-collects grubs for simple, no-hassle separation, while fitting snuggly into pod body. Bucket features: a drip channel that diverts condensation and precipatation away from the contents, a carrying handle to remove unit from body while providing a means of gripping, an air port slot to keep grubs from suffocating, and an top entry chute where the grubs fall through via gravity.
- Hinged main lid is easy to open using front handle
- Inner convenience lid easily pivots, allowing for quick one handed dumping of food scraps, while shielding top ventilation portal - critical for aeration, female access and egg laying
- Heavy duty, weather-resistant, rotomolded construction insures long life span and protection of colony from the elements
- Improved ventilation: Fresh air enters through bucket slit, passively flowing through entry chute in bucket, which leads to the harvest slot in body and exits at convenience lid - continually maintaining aerobic conditions
- Compact design is ideal for shade gardens and patios - compatible with rural, suburban and urban settings
- Advanced drainage of liquids for compost tea occurs through permeable drainage plate and flexible drainage pad, allowing liquids to flow passively into collection area. Dual drainage system phyically separates active colony from liquid catchment area, allowing liquid to pass through mesh, 0.5 cm holes and exit the rear drainage port.
- Faux stone appearance blends in naturally with landscaping
- Divert and digest all food scraps from smelly garbage bin, kitchen insinkerator and open-air garden composter
- Re-capture valuable lipids and proteins found in kitchen waste and transform them into usable live feed for domesticated animals and wildlife
- Friable compost may be used in garden or as the ultimate worm bin food, producing casting faster than ever
- Family friendly system provides children with an education in sustainability, the cycle of life, and organic gardening Helps reduce carbon footprint associated with food scraps decay into methane in landfills by diversion and recycling
- Actively feeding grubs secrete a natural fly repellant called a synomone (an interspecies, chemical communication that alerts and warns other kinds of flies to stay away)
- Beneficial Soldier Grubs are self-separating, auto-harvesting, robust, prolific, hardy, indigenous, harmless, easy-to-store, simple to transport, dry to the touch in pupal stage, a convenient bait, and extremely nutritious!
26 1/2" long x 15 1/2" wide x 16" Tall
9" diameter of circluar top ventilation portal
Drainage Plate: 27 cm long x 44 cm wide x 0.6 cm thick
Digestion Capacity: maximum of 5 lbs (2.2 kg) per day
Food scraps (including meat) from 4-6 adults
15-20% Bioconversion of food waste into BioGrubs
5% bioconversion of scraps into dark, friable castings
Main Body Volume: 10 gallons / 38 liters
Harvest Bucket Volume: 2 gallons / 7.5 liters
4 kg or 8.8 lbs empty
Pod Parts - Roto-molded, UV-stabilized, medium density polyethylene resin
Perforated Drainage Plate - polypropylene resin
Drainage Connector - nylon
Mesh Drainage Pad - non-woven polyester mesh
Metal Hardware - stainless steel
QUANTITY / PARTS
1 body, 1 main lid kit, 1 inner convenience lid, 1 drainage plate, 1 drainage pad, 1 harvest bucket, 1 drainage connector
Light taupe (weathered grayish-brown)
Time Required: approx. less than 10 minutes (single person)
Tools Needed: socket wrench or small, standard wrench to install drainage connector
Food scrap recycling
Raising soldier grubs
Digestion of pet waste
Dual migration ramps for auto-harvesting into collection bucket
Drainage plate allows liquids to passively seem into liquid catchment area
Manufactured in North Carolina and developed with pride in Texas
1 year on parts and manufacturing defects
SHIPPING FEE IN THE US MAINLAND = $30
SHIPPING FEE AK, HI, PR, TERRITORIES = $36
2 OR 3 PODS (1 BOX):
SHIPPING FEE IN THE US MAINLAND = $44
SHIPPING FEE AK, HI, PR, TERRITORIES = $60
Single and multi-pod boxes ship via Fedex Ground to the lower 48 states. Arrival is normally within 4-9 business days.
Customers in Hawaii, Alaska, PR, and territories will receive their units via USPS Parcel Select (formerly Parcel Post) . We ship USPS our of our North Carolina Facility two times per week. Time in transit is much slower - 3-4 weeks on average.
We can ship the BioPod Plus to Canada via USPS International Priority (1-2 weeks). Parcel Post is not available to Canada. The BioPod Plus can nest up to 3 in a single box. S&H to Canada:
1 BioPod Plus to Canada: $58
2 BioPod Plus to Canada (in 1 box): $88
3 BioPod Plus to Canada (in 1 box): $115
UK / GREAT BRITAIN:
We can ship via USPS International Priority (1-2 weeks). The BioPod Plus can nest up to 3 in a single box. S&H to the UK:
1 BioPod Plus to the UK: $69.50
2 BioPod Plus to the UK (1 box): $113
3 BioPod Plus to the UK (1 box): $145
Please call or email for a fast quote. You may also check the dealer list on TheBioPod.com to see if your country has a supplier.